Jun 14, 2010

not what I planned

Well going back to work didn't pan out how I thought it would...

Jonah was running a fever on Wednesday of 102.5 by Friday the fever was gone but he developed a horrible cough. Now coughs are hard for me to diagnose, (Perhaps that's because I never went to medical school) It's hard for me to tell whether it's a lung disease cough or a contagious cough. I believe its just a lung and Jonah thing, but hmm...who knows? He is coughing up SO much junk he is choking on it and throwing it up. (that's good he's removing it out of his lungs but yuck!) I do know that over time people who suffer from Bronchiectasis will develop a phlemmy cough, but I believe it is a gradual thing, but once again who knows? I called Jonah's ped and he's out of town. I called Jonah's Pulmo DR and guess what? She is also on vacation. GRRRRR! I wish everyone who is involved in Jonah's care would book vacations through me first. I heard back from the pulmo nurse and she said that the Dr wants him back on (big surprise) STEROIDS until she comes back to the office on Wednesday.

Back to the work thing, my friend who was so wonderful to watch him (thanks girl!) called me a few times but I missed the calls (bad mommy) When I saw that she had called I immediately called her back with visions of fire trucks and ambulances in her driveway, When she answered she informed me that his lips were blue. She put him on O's and he still wasn't feeling better.He was coughing so much, I could tell she was worried. I went over to check on him and he just fell apart. So I took him home. He has now been sleeping for 4 hours, I will just let him sleep. I was going to take him up to the ER but I think I will hold tight till he wakes up. Wish us luck it's not going to be one of "those" nights!

4 comments:

  1. I've decided that you are an angel! That's what you are. Being a caretaker is very stressful. I think the worst part is so desperately wanting to cure the ailment, but not being able to. It was good seeing you today at work! Take care of yourself and I'll see you in July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a sat monitor right? Dont go to the ER unless his oxygen needs get high. You dont want to waste your time and get sent home. You can do it, be confident in your abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whenever isaac is sick and has a cough, i crank the O2. it really seems to help ALOT. like it seems to keep him from throwing up and having coughing fits. always a plus in my book. :-) i crank it until he seems to settle down. and then i keep it there.

    we've recently started doing saline nebulizer treatments. have you tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is Jonah feeling today? And how are you??? I really wish I could help you in some way!!!! Is there anything I can do? Do you need to talk? I think of Jonah so much... we need to get together!

    ReplyDelete