I'm feeling bummed out today. I hate feeling like this. I am a believer that we make our own happiness, but today I just don't have the energy to pretend like all is hunky dory.
Today was my day to work in Jonah's class room up at the Pingree school (room mom). He is doing so well working with his teachers and speech therapist. I love to watch him "work" and to just observe how he is in an environment that is so different then our home. I look at him and get lost in his world, how he is so fascinated with the simple things like buttons, light switches and the wheels on the bottom of his match car. In his class room with his peers he has become a normal child.
A normal child at an autistic school.
Because I was at his school naturally I picked him up. We had a good hour and a half before Morgan was out of her school so I took Jonah over to my grandma's house for a short visit. My grandma's friend was over with her grandson who turned 3 in December. I watched him play appropriately with toys that my kids had left. He asked me some questions and informed me on how his potty training was going. He looked like a 3 year old, he talked like a 3 year old, he was going pee pee on the potty like a 3 year old. I couldn't help but for a moment feel sorry for Jonah, My Jonah who was more interested in rubbing his face on the micro fiber couch then to play with another child.
I had to question it... Do I feel sorry for Jonah or embarrassed for me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey we all feel like this sometimes. As good as Tanner is doing, sometimes I see how immature he looks next to other kids his age. Jonah is a rock star, and he's already doing so much better. I guarantee this school will help him a ton! Are you guys healthy? Lets play
ReplyDeleteHere an idea; how about neither. Johan has come a long way and has a wonderful mom to help him get further. You're doing wonderful with the hand you have been dealt. If you need a ear give me a call.
ReplyDelete