Apr 30, 2009

Answer me this...

This week is passing by me to fast! I have so much to do before the big trip, and I stare at my check list and have only accomplished 2 things... the slacker in me always starts up when I feel the stress. Yesterday I ran around the salt lake vally picking up any extra medical records that will be needed- side note... we live in a day where everyone has a computer...even my 82 year old GMA, so why can't the hospitals just email medical records? I feel like I could put a book together with all of the HIPA crap I have signed! Anyways, I have now collected all of the extra records that may or may not be needed.
While at the store on Tuesday I get a phone call from the Pulmonary specialist asking me to collect these extra few things and she had also asked if I had any questions...I always have questions! So wait back up.... she sent me a form explaining the IPFT (infant pulmonary function test) 3 days ago. It talked about the vest that would push air in and a box he would be lying in... all that stuff I had posted before, but wait it also read that they would need to place a top on the box...this is really freaking me out. So when I asked her about the top on the box she kind of laughed and said "most parents are more concerned about the vest that will be placed, not the acrylic top to the box." Ahhh, I feel like I am co-staring in an episode of the Twilight Zone. I was then invited to stay in the room while the testing is taking place... I feel so torn, I want to be there for Jonah, but the top on the box is really bothering me. It is causing more anxiety and more reason for me to not want to do this anymore.
I know what your thinking... grow up already, but I really do have fears with stuff like this. Remember he will have a mask on plus his oxygen. It seems so claustrophobic! So just a question I'm throwing out ... What would YOU do? Stay with your child like a decent parent or sit out side the door wondering whats going on?

3 comments:

  1. I think maybe you should wait until you are there to decide if you want to be with him or not. You might find that you can't leave him and it will all be OK. I know how that is though. We have to watch our little one's go through all these tests and it is so hard on us as mom's as well. Then when you add in tests like this that kinda freak you out..... so ya I can see where you are coming from. I think sometimes you just have to have the attitude that you'll decide then whether or not you'll be there. If you choose to sit out this one, you are NOT a bad mother! You have been through so much and I think not wanting to watch something that causes you stress is being human. Just take it one day at a time and know that you are an amazing mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tough one. You have already watched him go through so much, and here is another test that is going to be done on your Little Man. The medical staff is there to do their job and figure out what is wrong with Jonah. Your job is to be the Mom. And if Mom decides not to be in the room during the test, that's fine. Regardless of what side of the door you are on, you know that you love your son, and we all know that you are a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Supermom!

    I think that staying in the room will reduce your stress. I don't think it will be as bad as you fear. You will see that he's fine and you won't have any regrets. You can always close your eyes are look the other way and start reviewing your times tables. As luck would have it, Jonah isn't stressed about this test because he doesn't know about it. It will be over soon enough and he won't be worse off. Hopefully, you'll have valuable information. So sorry you have additional anxiety. Jonah will be fine either way, so do what is best for you. Love you tons. Hugs and more.

    ReplyDelete