Feb 17, 2010

I wanna talk about Me, wanna talk about I...

I have lost 17 lbs! I am so proud of myself. At times I feel like I am undefeatable...then I walk into Target and see the aisle & aisles of Easter candy. Oh how I love me some Easter candy! I broke down... Temptation stole my soul. 3 long weeks with hardly any sugar, and I chose today to have my chocolate melt down. However I did enjoy it, with minimum guilt, and I will try to stay out of those kinds of stores and stick to my, SF Farmers Market and Whole Foods, where I am rarely tempted to indulge into carob, or sesame crisps. Okay, just had to get that off my chest...and now off my hips!

I hope you are all doing well. I have been doing some deep soul searching. I have had a lot of down time while dealing with Jonah's newest illness (seems like it will never end) but I have been thinking a lot about what is important. As you know I have been going back to school. I decided to go back to school because I wanted to be a child life specialist. It kind of runs parallel to my back ground in early childhood development. But... I have changed my mind. I have decided that I would be really good at helping parents. I want to be able to help other parents who might be going through the same kinds of things that Isaac and I went through, and felt alone. The Dr's and the social worker just didn't get it. It's only through this blogging world that I have met some of the finest most inspirational people. Some who are fighting the same disease that Jonah struggles with, and many parents who are fighting just as hard as I am to keep their babies from going down hill. No one has the same exact thing as the other, but we all bring something to the table.

Through this 2 year journey with Jonah, I sure have come a long way. I have to laugh. I was so new at it all, I was in so much denial that this was really happening to my boy. I would depend on wishful thinking (OK, I still do) I would have so much faith that the doctors would heal Jonah, that this was all just a little virus that he would soon wake up from.I just didn't get it.

Well, now I get it! And I want to be there for newbies. I have done so much research on where to go for this service and that service. I'm not sure why these programs are not better advertised. It's sad when I know more about them then the Dr's or therapists. Luckily I have been able to rub elbows with some of the best out here in utah, thanks to my late friend Diana. I think she was gearing me up for this task before she passed away last May. Even while being traked, she would mouth a conversation about all of this therapy and special needs places and yaa yada yada. She was dying, and was still trying to teach me. In all honesty I didn't understand why this was so important to her. I wasn't there yet. I just wanted to spend the last days of her life sharing memories. Now I am there, and I see the importance of it all. I see why she worked so hard for parents like me, parents who never met the "behind the scenes" people.

A month ago I got a letter in the mail from one of our peeps up at the Children with special health care needs building, asking for me to write a letter to our state in hopes to save these programs. If you live in Utah I encourage you too to write a letter. These programs are so important to our children. Could you imagine where your child would be with out early intervention or DDI? I Can't even tell you how much of a blessing Jonah's walker and feeding chair have been to us. So... If you have a minute please write to the state of Utah. I will post the link asap.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you sound so upbeat! How great to lose 17 lbs. I'm trying, I get on my eliptical every day. Although I've had this stupid cough for two weeks now, so I can't go for to long without feeling like my lungs will explode!
    I love helping new families! Its great to be a vetran at this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Jessica! I am ready to write a letter. It is amazing to have people that understand with you on the journey. I am so glad that I am able to go through this NOW and not years ago. The internet is amazing and connects people that so desperatly need some support. I need these programs as much as our kids do.

    And congrats on the 17 pounds!!! You are doing so wonderful.... with all you have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 17 lbs.! wow! what a woman you are...

    one day, someone will be reading tihs blog and have an answer for you, it just needs to be seen by the right person. In the meantime, you are my inspiration....just in case you did not know

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! That is so awesome. I'm so glad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew that the shirt you gave Jax was made by someone, but at the time I didn't know it was you. How cool, we love that shirt! That would be so cool to have one to raffle off. What other ones do you make? I want to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete