Jul 15, 2010

FEES study is done...for now

I'm not gonna lie, I thought the FEES study would go in my favor, as like most of the docs have pointed out "his swallow studies all look great!" I had hope that we would go in and like the swallow studies done in the past there would be no evidence of anything happening.

The entire appointment lasted 2 hours. That's a long time for a FEES! What the ENT found was that Jonah is still needing to be on thickened liquids due to the fact that he is not clearing the liquid as he swallows and this is letting liquid go down the other tube into is vocal chords causing him to choke/cough.

And so it goes, this is Jonah, mind you. Jonah needs to be seen again in 3 months for another swallow study and needs to start back up in feeding therapy. It was mentioned that Jonah might drink best from a sippy cup that has a straw. (if you use this kind of cup let me know what is best. Melissa could you send me that link for the cup J uses??) This will prevent Jonah from tipping his head back. The goal is to reteach him to drink (people we have taught and re-taught this too many times) He now needs to keep his chin to his chest and sip through the straw thickened liquid. I hope that every doc understands that this is delaying Jonah from getting off his feeding tube, but I know we have to do what we have to do, still sucks it all has to be done in itty bitty baby steps.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that. I have gotten the straw cups from Walmart, they are tight so if the kids do tip them they don't spill. You can try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will email you the link of the cup that Josh has been using. I love it to death and it's worked wonders for him being able to drink out of a cup. I am sorry that things didn't go as planned. I think that is the problem Josh has when he swallows... not clearing well enough. GOod luck and call me anytime!

    ReplyDelete