Oct 7, 2010

Everything happens for a reason

Through this journey I have been on, I seem to always get the same comment from people who don't know what else to say, people who have good intentions and/or people who really believe this mantra..."Every thing happens for a reason" I have always believed that we make our own fate...then along came Jonah.

Daily I ask myself, "why?" I have so many "why" questions I could write a book as thick as the encyclopedia. Well, ladies and gents, today I am a believer in that mantra...

EVERYTHING DOES HAPPEN FOR A REASON!

A few weeks ago I was talking with a dear friend and she suggested I re-read a book I read pre Jonah. The book is written by a mother who's son was diagnosed with autism and she goes from knowing nothing about it to changing her boy's life around. I ordered the book a few days ago and as soon as it came in the mail my nose has been stuck in the book. It's eerie weird how much her son and mine have in common. While I am going through my journey with Jonah this book is like narrating our life. like I said eerie!

So the big news...

Jonah had his first appointment at the autism school here in Salt Lake. I knew all along he would have to go through testing to see if Jonah would be an appropriate fit in the school. Right away they hauled Jonah off to one of the class rooms where he would work with a speech therapist and the head teacher. Jonah spent 3.5 hours today (as did I) going through testing, while I answered very invasive and emotionally challenging questions. Right off the bat the doctor who would be diagnosing Jonah said to me "I am the mean guy, the guy who is going to want to know all of Jonah's down falls, the guy who will also be pointing them out to you." And he was right.

Over the past few years I have tried to harden my shell, tried to put up gates masked with a friendly smile, while people pick apart, diagnose, medicate, and operate on my guy. Truth be told its been the hardest thing I have ever done and ever will do. Today while sitting in the doctors office I was asked to also pick apart my son. I did my best to hold it all together but as soon as the doctor left me alone in his office I cracked. He returned to his office with Jonah by his side. Right when Jonah entered the office where I was he started with his clapping. (something he has started doing whenever he gets excited) The doctor asked a few more questions then handed me a sheet of paper declaring that Jonah has PDD-NOS one mark away from being declared autistic. (thanks to the practice "makebelieveplay" we have been working with Jonah on) The doctor was quick to burst my bubble saying "what is the difference in 5 shades of red when you add one more?" then followed that by saying next year when the new bla bla medical book comes out PDD-NOS and autism will be one. I told him I prefer the label PDD-NOS over Autism. He laughed.

Jonah will start at the school in 2 weeks. I feel so blessed. I am forever grateful to the behavior doctor who told me she thought Jonah had Autism, the Dr who I was once so hurst by, just months ago. If it weren't for her diagnosis I would still be sitting wondering what to do with my child. Still wondering why people keep telling me everything happens for a reason, when no good is coming from what was happening. Now I can say that something wonderful has come. Jonah is lucky to have found a spot so soon, as the waiting list for this clinic is usually out 8 months. I made a phone call at the perfect time, he got in right away, and now intense therapy will begin.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that you are finally going along with it. Come on we all knew that it does it just takes some of us hard headed people to bang our head on the wall (figuritivly and sometimes literally) to get the message through. GOod For you and Jonah :)

    ReplyDelete