Oct 8, 2010

another day another...TEST

It's still so unreal that Jonah will be starting into the Autism school in just 10 days! I am starting to get a little freaked as we have been connected by the oxygen tube for most of his life. though I will not be cutting the oxygen tube (haha) I will be forced to cut the umbilical cord so to speak. Am I ready??? No. But this is what is best...and "It's good to do hard things!" right?

Today was more testing but with the school district. We have had testing set up for months now. This testing is to place Jonah in a special education program in the districts preschool. Though this might seem unecessary because he will be attending the autistic school, we need Jonah to have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) in place, and to get the IEP they need to of course do testing to see where he stands. My plan was to have Jonah go to the autistic school in the morning for therapies and then have him go to the school districts special ed preschool for more of a "social" therapy. (unfortunatly, the special ed preschool is mainstreamed with "normal"children, leaving most of the "therapy" up to Jonah, by watching the other kids in the class and picking up on social cues. Lame... I know!)

I have decided to keep our good news (Jonah being excepted early to the autistic school, they think he will not be going there until Jan) a secret for now. I want the IEP written up and then I will share. However, today when I shared my plan of having him attend both schools it all came to a screetching hault. They said that Jonah will not be able to do both programs. I am confused as to why, since they themselves told me that all they really offer is a "social outlet" with very limited therapies.

Of course this is not sitting well with me, so I will be lacing up my boxing gloves and getting in the ring with the school district starting Monday. If the insurance company has no problem paying for both what does the freeking school district care??? I had even mentioned that we would pivate pay, so that Jonah could get some socialization in, but they said that he would then be considered a "normal" child and get no speech therapy. UGH! can't win!... Yet!

1 comment: