Jan 2, 2011

Christmas Miracles

For jounaling puposes I have to include this drama filled entry.

We left California the day after Christmas. Bright and early as I didn't want to be driving in the dark and we had a long 14 hr drive ahead of us. Isaac strapped the lugage to the roof racks and smashed every toy Santa had brought in the back of the car. Our family left my mom's house around 4:30am. By 7am I was so tired and wished we stayed in bed a little longer. We pulled over at a truck stop right outside Paso Robles Ca. I slept while Isaac and the kids walked the dog and ran around to get the wiggles out. After an hour, everyone piled back into the car and we headed down to Barstow where we would fill the tank and have some run around time. We pulled into the gas station, the first one right off the freeway, Isaac jumped out and headed for the bathroom while I was fighting with the gas pump to work. (FYI: in Cali the pump needs to be firmly pushed into the gas tank to trigger the gas flow) I didn't get that figured out so I assumed that the pump was broken so we would just get gas across the street. When Isaac jumped back into the loaded down mini SUV he said that we were down one bag. "WHAT??" I freeked. As of course it was MY brand new luggage bag with all of MY clothes, MY makeup, MY shoes, MY Christmas gifts. I was pissed, and seriously could have divorced my husband right there in the middle of the desert in Barstow California. Yes, I cried. I called my mom, cause that's what I do when I can't think streight. She kinda calmed me down but I was still angry... Why is it always ME?? Why could'nt Isaac's stuff fly off the roof rack?? He has tons of clothes at home and doesn't own any CJ Banks clothing!

We back tracked 3 hours one way and 3 hours back only to return to Barstow, once again with no luggage. 6 hours added onto our trip for nothing. We stoped at that same gas station the one right off the freeway to fill up. This time Morgan and I leaped for the bathrooms and Isaac pumped gas. When Morg and I came out we switched places with Isaac. A Marine Chaplin approached me. He had been watching Jonah hooked up to his oxygen and recieving a tube feeding. The Marine asked if he could pray for my son. Cought off guard, and worried he had heard me yelling as we pulled in, I eagerly said yes, that he could pray for him. (When I said that I was thinking he would do a prayer roll, or pray in his car...) He reached in though Jonah's window asked for his name and prayed that Jonah will have a prosperus life and that he (Jonah) would be able to bless many through his life. It was one of the most beautiful prayers I had ever heard. When the Marine was through praying he held Jonah's hand and said that he would see him again. It was so strange and yet so amazing. I am forever grateful to that young Chaplin. I was still devistated that all my stuff was somewhere in someones posetion, but a calmness came over me as all that I had lost was just stuff. We drove a long 23 hours mostly in silence because everyone was afraid of the wrath of mommy. I Everything was replaceable. I had a few flareups of disappointment and why me's, but I let the husband and kiddos believe I was still upset so I didn't have to listen to fighting, singing or are we there yet?

Afew days ago, during dinner, we heard a knock at the door. Isaac got up from the table to answer the door. Know one was there. I would like to say that when he opened the door my luggage was sitting on the front porch but that was not the case. Insrtead an envelope layed on the door mat. When he opened it he saw that inside the envelope was a card with nothing written and inside that card was a stack of $20 bills.

I am so blessed, MY family is so blessed. I am so grateful to have many people in my life who are mindful of my beautiful family. I have only shared the first story with a few others, so I know that the person/people who left that envelope of money probly didn't know that I had lost most of my clothes. I am grateful for Christmas miracles. I am grateful for those who are selfless. I am grateful for the example that this act has taught my children.

Hope this new year brings many opportunities for my family to pay it forward.

3 comments:

  1. Thats so cool, although not cool that all your clothes were gone, and you backtracked 3 hours. Yuck!
    Are you guys all healthy so we can play? I miss my Jonah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your stuff. However I'm with you. My children got to learn the meaning of Christmas first hand when two days before Christmas we learned that a friend wasn't going to be able to do Christmas for her children so we adopted them and my kids had so much fun shopping for them and wrapping the many toys we got the kids. Its chances like these that I am grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like . . . it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

    ReplyDelete