Aug 29, 2009

Bye Bye Binky!


Morgan said good by to her best friend of 3 years. Bye bye Binky! We had a small good bye party for the occasion. My friend's son (who is a year younger) said good bye to his Binky's so the pressure was on. I asked Morgan if she wanted to go up to the hospital and give her Bink's to the babies. There was a slight pause then she asked me if she could just give the Binky's to the astronauts. Isaac and I looked at each other and kind of laughed. Then it hit me hey, yeah we could. We would just tie the Bink's to the end of balloons. viala! It worked. So today was the day... We walked across the street and let go of 6 balloons. When the balloons left the ground Morgan fell into complete hysterics! I wasn't sure how she was going to react, but I am not surprised that this was the result. After a little walk and a run through an empty parking lot with flying grasshoppers, she seemed to be much better. The astronaut cake that was waiting for her when she got home helped too.

I put Morgan to bed about 20 minutes ago and she has not cried yet. This is a good sign. I know she can do this. However I am warning everyone DO NOT BRING UP HER BINK'S....EVER!!! Thank you. And to moms all across the world...Don't wait till they're 3.5 before taking the Bink away. It is so hard and too much work!

4 comments:

  1. I had never thought of a binky bye-bye party before. Since Josh is going to have his binky forever... I think I may do that approach to getting rid of it when that days comes. I hope Morgan went to bed tonight!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you all and Morgan!!! Best of luck. The first night is the hardest. Fyi, Colin had his pacifier until he was almost in first grade. He only used it at night and we tried several times to give it up, but no luck. He became so hysterical when bedtime came that I thought it was way worse and might cause permanent psychological damage. So . . . during the summer before first grade, I said, you are not going into first grade with a pacifier. We decided to allow him to stay up as late as he wanted in hopes that he would fall asleep, eventually, without it. Around 1 AM, I gave up and made him go to bed. I think he would have stayed up all night. He was old enough to be rational though and so we talked a lot about it. He was very brave. I'm not sure how long he would have kept it on his own, but it would have been several more years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was having major problems with my son's binky use; well actually it was more along the lines of an addiction! My friend absolutely raved about the cut method, and all of the psychology behind it. She found it on www.bye-bye-binky.com which is great that it was free. Desperate with nothing to lose, I tried it. OMGosh... worked beautifully for my son with NO tantrums, not even one! Thank you God. Five days later he did not want anything to do with his binky. Highly recommended! I am also interested in others experiences.... Bella

    ReplyDelete