Nov 23, 2009

new post

Today strated early, or yesterday never ended...I'm not sure. I just know my feet are killing me, my bed is calling me, it's 11:15 at night and I am still waiting for laundry to finish. And then...finally...GO TO SLEEP. I hope Jonah didn't here me type that! Heaven knows as soon as I fall into my nice warm bed Jonah decides it's probably time to let out a heart wrenching squeal! And from there...Well, I'm to tired to even think about how tonight will go.

We have had a more then difficult weekend. Not all bad, On Friday we were invited to go to a birthday for the sweetest little guy,Jaxson . It was fun, and I am assuming the kids had fun as well, however Jonah did not miss the opportunity to show off his head banging and the squeal. None the less it was a fun night, and I was slightly liberated by taking him out of the house. I felt so unbelievably normal there at the party. There were a few kiddos on oxygen as well. No one stared or made comments. It was just amazing being in the presence of so many other kiddos who have fought just as hard as Jonah to stay alive.

Saturday was hard.

Sunday Jonah was hooked up to his polsox most of the day. His Sat's were in the low 80's not on oxygen and when he was put back on O's he was sating at 93 on a liter and a half. That's a lot of oxygen for Jonah and not be sating in the higher 90's was kind of bothersome. Today he has been full of mucus. I wish he would just know that the tickle in his throat means to cough. Ah, what to do....

This morning Jonah had his Six month eval/renewal with Early Intervention. His OT went over his results from the testing from last week. Results:
Gross Motor- 11 mo, Fine Motor-18 mo, Cognitive Development- 15 mo
Language-10 mo Self Help- 12mo, and Social Emotional-24 mo.

I'm not sure why this is so hard for me to look at. I thought I was officially out of denial. I would think that by being with him every second of the day I would know just the same as some test, but still it's hard to look at on paper, and for others to look at and know that Jonah is not normal. It hurts. I can't let it get in the way of our day to day life. I do understand that these tests need to be done.

Tomorrow Jonah and I will be going to a place here in Utah who carries equipment for children with those special needs. Jonah will be fitted for a helmet and we will be taking home a feeding chair. I am looking forward to the chair! I will post pics as soon as he is measured for it and it is all set up.

Jonah has been banging his head so much! It started about a year ago. Jonah would bang his head for what they call "input." ( he has difficulties getting enough stimulation) He has some sensory issues that we work on daily. About 4 months ago the head banging got more and more aggressive. Where he is leaving bruises on his head. He does it harder when he is throwing a fit, mostly because he can not communicate that of what he wants. It is super stressful...for both of us! I bought him a skate board helmet in hopes that it would solve the problem...NOPE! He found a way to make it slip off. So this new helmet should be exactly what he needs. I guess we will just have to see.

4 comments:

  1. wish j was doing better... yeah... tobi stinks but the med i hate most is acetylcysteine by mouth, because it tastes and smells like rotten eggs, but once u neb it u get used, and using the mouth piece you dont "feel" it, taking it by mouth is really disgusting :-S ew!
    My doc yesterday asked me to pit on a conteiner to mesure how much mucus I'm producing... try to guess? in a bit more than 24 hours I passed the liter level!!!!! THAT'S REALLY SCARRY!!! ... but better out than in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... lung function is still more-less th same... fev1 at 17% and fvc 19%

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jessica. I wish I had known what you were dealing with. It's been a rough go around for everyone this weekend I think. I know how hard it is to look at what your child is doing on paper. Makes life so hard sometimes. You just want everything to be 'normal' and it isn't. I really hope that whatever is going on with Jonah resolves soon without anything happening. If you need anything, please let me know. I know how hard it is and how discouraged you probably feel right now. Please call me if you need anything... or just to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PERHAPS I AM WAY OFF TRACK.....BUT THOSE EVAL NUMBERS LOOK PRETTY GOOD TO ME....CONSIDERING ALL THAT OUR BRAVE LITTLE JONAH HAS BEEN THROUGH....TO GET TO THIS POINT......
    THOSE NUMBERS WILL SURELY IMPROVE.....WITH TIME....AS JONAH MASTERS EACH STEP....AND HE WILL.......THE LORD IS GUIDING HIM.......XXOO

    ReplyDelete