Mar 17, 2010

Just got the Call

I just got the call from Jonah's Pulmo doctor that he will be admitted on Monday at 11am. Hopefully he will be able to get his PICC line placed earlier that morning. If not earlier, it will be placed before the day is over. Jonah's veins are mostly collapsed so placing a PICC is getting more and more difficult...You all remember the fiasco that went on in October! (the nurse cut the line)

Jonah goes to the hospital for CF clean outs. No, he does not have CF but his disease is cared for the same way. He does all that a CFer would do on a daily basis except he does not take enzymes. Bronchiectasis disease is strictly in his lungs...sadly, both of them. It's a 10 to 14 day treatment which consists of physical therapy, intravenous antibiotics and lots of boredom. The purpose is to rid the lungs of excessive infections and mucus. Ugh, I really hate having J up at the hospital. It makes for a super rough two weeks. Though it desperately needs to be done. This is Jonahs 4Th time having a "clean out." He is now on a new unit so we never have the nurses who have oh so many times nursed J back to a state where I could care for him at home. Jonah has spent so much time with those nurses, we consider a few of them family. October was our first visit on the "new" unit. The unit where they have to wear strange white hats, as well as the very scary yellow gown. (Jonah hates the yellow!) We are on a unit where most of the other children are suffering with Cystic Fibrosis.

Oh my. I guess I will need to start planning for little Morgan. I am pretty sure that the hospital is still not allowing Sib's due to the RSV factor. One more thing to make this a bit more stressful. I just have to keep reminding myself IT HAS TO BE DONE. Jonah is so much better for a few weeks after.

2 comments:

  1. If I could put one good spin on this, its that you have a few days to plan before heading in. Its not an emergency, middle of the night thing. Is the new unit your talking about the medical unit? He was probably in infant before. I personally hate the infant unit. I don't know why they gown up for CF's when they are not sick. I guess because they harbor buggies in their thick mucous. Maybe I'll hop up there to look at t-shirts. Or we can do it before if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn I am going to be down there this friday!!! I don't have any appt scheduled for the time Jonah will be in. I hope it goes well. I know how hard this is on you. I'll be here to listen to you if you need anything. Good luck I will keep your guys in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete