Little Jonah is once again sick and back on steroids. I hate this game that we are constantly playing. My wish is that he could just be a healthy little boy that is full of energy. Okay maybe not FULL of energy but has enough energy for a two year old.
Jonah's lungs are full of mucus. I have needed to deep suction him every 4 hours as well as keep up with extra respiratory treatments. When I listen to him with the stethoscope all I can hear is secretions flowing back and forth with each inhale and exhale. Though he hates the deep suctioning, at this point it is a necessity to keep air moving. I am hoping that a week filled with steroids will calm his inflammation and make it much easier for him to breath.
On a lighter note...Morgan has her first T-ball game tonight! We are all so excited! I will post pics and info about her first game later tonight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

does he respond to albuterol? when isaac's sick i give it every 2-4 hours. and how about turning the oxygen up? the oxygen also acts a bronchodilator.
ReplyDeletesorry to hear the kid's sick. i freakin' hate it. i am always a bit blown away by how stressful it is. keep up the good work, mom!!!
is he on any antibiotics? a lot of kids with lung issues take zithromax on a prophylactic dose -- i.e. 1 tsp 3 times a week (MWF). it's effect is apparently 2-fold: 1) you get some protection from the nasty bacteria which cause secondary infections that are more likely to flare up when sick with a virus and 2) it also acts as an anti-inflammatory to the lungs. i'm not sure if J's lungs are inflamed at all -- but if so, it will obviously contribute to the airways constricting. consider asking his doc about this.
ReplyDeletealso, considering he gets sick a fair amount... i wonder if he'd be a good candidate for IVIG? i'm thinking about having Isaac on this for when he goes to school. IVIG is immunoglobulins collected from people's blood donations. If he were to get IVIG, he'd get other's antibodies which can be very effective at warding off viruses. Also, I hear it can act as anti-inflammatory.
Other things to consider (sorry, i'm on a roll here... :-) ) -- i give Isaac fish oil with lots of omega 3. that, too, acts as an anti-inflammatory. i also give him lots of yogurt with acidophilous mixed in to keep his gut healthy considering he is on 2 different antibiotics for a long period of time.
all the best to you!
Sarah
Poor little thing! Steroids are soo horrible for everyone! Really hope you get positive results and none of the horrible side effects! I've just been put on permanant Azithromycin (I think it's also called zithromax)250mg every day and my consultant told me it would help prolong the gaps between getting ill. So hopefully instead of getting flare ups every 4 weeks we are hoping to get it to every 6-8 weeks by acting as an anti-inflammatory.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry he's not well again! Really really hope everything works for him and he feels better soon!
Gem X
Its finally getting warm, he can't get sick now! Hopefully he gets better soon so we can go play in the park!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a wonderful mama. xo
ReplyDelete