Oct 18, 2010

at this point I just expect things like this

At this very moment, I am sitting on the edge of the couch typing on my laptop, Morgan sitting on the couch watching signing time and eating a frozen GF/CF cookie (a new recipe her and I tried out last night) and my sweet Jonah is holding his cookie in one hand and hitting his head against the giant front window. I am clenching my teeth.

Usually I would correct this behavior as it gets under my skin so fast! Instead I am fighting myself and just going to sit pretty, typing on my Blog.

This morning we went to our first Occupational Therapy appointment through the children's hospital. We are having BIG changes in our lives with Jonah being exited from early Intervention (he will soon be 3) I am now rearranging his entire world and I know it's hard for him. New therapists, new school, new meals, shorter nap time and now just coming off steroids for the umpteenth time. The OT we saw today suggested that we let Jonah be Jonah for the next couple of weeks, this meaning we just tolerate his abnormal behavior as he is getting comfort and security through it.

Since this was his first appointment with her she did an evaluation to see where he was falling in each area of concern. I can't say I'm surprised as I am with my son 24/7 that his sensory was so far out of whack. I was a little embarrassed. As the OT was going through the results of the test we both look over at Jonah who is at this time "petting"the carpeted floor. Oh my. Sensory integration was one of Jonah's early on diagnosis. Im not sure when or why therapy had come to a halt with regard to it, but now he is, no, we are paying for it. She will like to start seeing Jonah weekly. Today we set goals, and talked about how all the changes are going to have a more negative affect on him and for me to be watching for more "neurotic"behaviors.

Joy!

Tomorrow Jonah starts his first day of preschool at Carmen B. Pingree. I have so many emotions, but I have decided to deal with them on another day, a day when I'm not stressing out about the stupid things like finding a small back pack that Jonah will be able to wear.

2 comments:

  1. I promise, after just a few months at Pingree, you will see a huge difference! Change is going to make him crazy for a while, it still makes Tanner crazy, but I'm telling you, this school is amazing! We need to get together, I miss my Jonah kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any words of wisdom but just wanted to send you big hugs and tell you I'm thinking of you! I'm sure, in time things will get a lot easier! Thank you for my comment on my blog too :D I think cannula's are the same but it really hurts when they miss and try to flush it and it's going into the tissue instead of the vein. The needle in my wrist was their poor attempt at a blood gas... ouchies! *hugs* xxx

    ReplyDelete