Nov 4, 2010

Ode to Sarah the OT

This is my Ode to "the-wa" as Jonah would say. Today we said good bye to Jonah's Occupational therapist, Sarah. It has been so hard, as I knew this day was approaching, it seems as though I skipped a few days in the week and now the day has come and we have said our good byes.

Good bye's suck! I hate good bye's.
I feel like I just got divorced from Jonah's 3rd parent.

Though we have found a new OT, it difficult to trade one for the other, as Sarah has worked with Jonah for a couple years and knows him well. Sarah is so excepting to his flaws as well as mine. She has taught me so much and has given me much hope pertaining to Jonah's future. She has watched him meet HUGE milestones developmentally, milestones that others may just shrug off as a whoopie, she has cheered and celebrated.

Every morning while dressing Jonah, he peeks out his bed room window looking, asking, The-wa? The-wa? I have finally got him to understand that Sara doesn't come everyday, and now she doesn't come at all. I feel bad that Jonah can't grasp that thought. So he will continue to ask for "The-wa" until one day he just forgets. sad.

Jonah is turning 3 on Sunday and so he looses his early intervention. Early Intervention was where we met Sarah. Although Isaac and I will pay out of pocket for Jonah to continue to do a therapy play group through early intervention, he no longer qualifies for an OT through them.
Because it was our last session with Sarah, we showered her with love and thank yous. Sarah is amazing and any child who gets the opportunity to work with her will fall in love with her, just as Jonah has.

I dislike change so much. I'm trying to not be sad, but it is sad. we are loosing a person who is so important to our son. How can I not shed a few tears?

1 comment:

  1. Discharge day is so sad!!! I understand completely. It really hasn't been the same for Josh since he was released from EI. We start up in a couple weeks with a brand new OT from PCMC rehab here in Ogden. I am quite nervous because we have had such an awesome on with EI for the last 2 1/2 years.

    ReplyDelete